- Regular Watches… Smart Watches
- Brief, glorious period in which our wrists were free
- Smart adj. /smɑːt/ It usually means: intelligent or clever. But if you talk about a machine, a phone (you have probably heard of “Smartphones”) it means that it uses advanced computer systems.
- Smart watches refer to a new type of watches. The idea is to have have the possibility to use similar functions to the ones you have on a smartphone. Have a look here to browse through different models and prices!
- Brief adj. /briːf/ If something is brief, it lasts only for a short time. It’s short.
- Glorious adj. /ˈɡlɔːriəs/ something that is beautiful or wonderful, that deserves praise and respect. (Glory n. /ˈɡlɔːri/ praise and respect you get from people for doing something important)
- Period n. /ˈpɪəriəd/ a length of time.
- Wrist n. /rɪst/ the part of your body between your hand and your arm (Note that the “w” is not pronounced: /rɪst/)
- This comic is making fun of new trends related to the use of watches. Here as some important facts that will help you understand it:
- Until a few years ago, most people would wear (regular) watches to keep track of the time.
- Now that more and more people carry their phone with them all the time, they simply use their phone to look at the time and do not bother to wear a watch anymore.
- Several phone companies who create smartphones (Samsung, Apple, etc.) are developing Smartwatches, to have the functionalities of your smartphone on your watch.
- The use of the adjective “Glorious” is very interesting here. Because the author qualifies this short period of time when most people don’t wear a watch as something very positive which makes us more free, it implies that wearing a watch takes away some of our freedom. It makes fun of the fact that our habits are dictated/controlled by new technology.